St John's Wort
St John’s Wort
Approximate Seed Quantity: 100
St John’s Wort or Hypericum Perforatum. This shrubby perennial produces a flourish of bright yellow flowers 1.5cm across from June through to September when it produces reddish-brown fruit that will show well into winter. Readily self seeds and does not require pruning. Very low maintenance and perfect for your wildlife garden or wild flower meadow and for awkward slopes and banks. Hardy Perennial
It is a well known herb that was once widely used for its alleged beneficial effects and although it fell out of fashion last century it is seeing a resurgence due to the belief that it can help to remedy depression and mental health issues. Please note: Do not use medicinally without taking professional advice as it may interfere with prescribed medicines. Ingestion may cause severe discomfort.
- Sow seeds throughout Spring and Autumn, either direct or in seed trays. Just scatter and lightly rake over or sow thinly in trays and lightly cover.
- Transplant to 7cm pots when large enough to handle and grow on
- Plant out when all danger of frost has passed
- Soil Conditions: Most but keep moist and well drained
- Position: Full Sun/Partial Shade
- Ultimate Height: 0.5-1 metre
- Ultimate Spread: 0.5-1 metre
- Time to Ultimate Height and Spread: 2-5 years