Carrot Rainbow Mix
Carrot – Rainbow Mix
Approximate Seed Quantity: 100
Another fun filled packet of seeds which the kids will love to grow. All carrots benefit from good soil preparation.
Made up from the following four varieties:
Atomic Red - this new variety is helping to restore the wide range of colours that were present before the 17th Century. 23-28cm in length these beautifully tapered roots are a wonderful coral/scarlet colour that only gets deeper and brighter once cooked.
Deep Purple – This one holds its colour far better than most others when cooked. It is a rich dark colour almost to the core with a super sweet flavour producing 17-20cm tapered roots
Lunar White – nearly coreless with a mild flavour. When left to mature it is a large 30cm, creamy white root but is equally lovely when pulled early as a ‘baby’ root
Solar Yellow – a completely yellow medium sized main-crop carrot. Very sweet with a mild flavour and great crunchy texture. Download sowing guide
- Dig and till the carrot bed when the soil is fairly dry to avoid creating lumps. You want a fine, stone free, texture to allow the roots to grow long and straight
- Avoid freshly manured soil as this may cause hairy, rough roots with splits and forks
- Sow thinly in rows 1cm deep, and 30-40cm in between rows after all danger of frost has passed
- Thin to 16-20 carrots per 30cm for eating while small and 6-10 carrots per 30cm for mid-season, larger roots.
- Dispose of the thinned seedlings to avoid attracting carrot fly
- As they grow earth up soil to ensure they stay covered thus avoiding green tops